VLC Player (formerly VideoLAN Client) is a highly portable free multimedia player for various audio and video formats, including MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, MP3, and OGG, as well as for DVDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols. It also can be used as a server for unicast or multicast streams in IPv4 or IPv6 on a high-bandwidth network.
With a new audio core, hardware decoding and encoding, port to mobile platforms, preparation for Ultra-HD video and special care to support more formats, 2.1 is a major upgrade for VLC 2020.
Rincewind has a new rendering pipeline for audio, with better efficiency, volume and device management, to improve VLC audio support. It supports many new devices’ inputs, formats, metadata and improves most of the current ones, preparing for the next-gen codecs.
UDP/RTP Unicast, UDP/RTP Multicast, HTTP / FTP, MMS, TCP/RTP Unicast, DCCP/RTP Unicast, File, DVD Video, Video CD / VCD, SVCD, Audio CD (no DTS-CD), DVB (Satellite, Digital TV, Cable TV), MPEG encoder, Video acquisition.
MPEG (ES,PS,TS,PVA,MP3), AVI, ASF / WMV / WMA, MP4 / MOV / 3GP, OGG / OGM / Annodex, Matroska (MKV), Real, WAV (including DTS), Raw Audio: DTS, AAC, AC3/A52, Raw DV, FLAC, FLV (Flash), MXF, Nut, Standard MIDI / SMF, Creative™ Voice.
SAP/SDP announces, Bonjour protocol, Mozilla/Firefox plugin, ActiveX plugin, SVCD Menus, Localization, CD-Text, CDDB CD info, IGMPv3, IPv6, MLDv2, CPU acceleration.
Plays all formats
DVD, Text files (MicroDVD, SubRip, SubViewer, SSA1-5, SAMI, VPlayer), Closed captions, Vobsub, Universal Subtitle Format (USF), SVCD / CVD, DVB, OGM, CMML, Kate. ID3 tags, APEv2, Vorbis comment.
Features and Highlights of VLC Player 64/32 bit
- 8K support (hardware decoding is on by default)
- Chromecast/Google Cast support
- HDR and 10-bit video
- HMDI Audio passthrough
- Network browsing for NAS systems
- 360 video and 3D audio
- Modifying subtitle size life
- Drag and drop support
- HD DVD support
- Rewritten video output core and modules, allowing blending in GPU.
- Shader support in the OpenGL output, for conversion, including 10bits.
- Video outputs for Windows 10 64 bit, 8 and 7, Android, iOS and OS/2.
- Depending, grain, denoising, and anti-flickering filters.
- Deinterlacing filter, including an Inverse Telecine algorithm.
- Resamplers for higher quality audio.
- Dynamic range compressor and karaoke filters.
- Simplification of the audio core for faster processing.
- Audio outputs for iOS, Android and OS/2.
- Multi-threaded decoding for H.264, MPEG-4/Xvid and WebM.
- Support for 10bits codecs, WMV image and some other codecs.
- Rewritten support for images, including jpeg, png, xcf, bmp etc.
- Important changes in RealVideo and Real Format support.
- CrystalHD cards and Android OpenMAX support for hardware decoding.
- And many more features…
VLC Media Player is a really powerful multimedia player for Windows. It plays all formats of media files really fast.
VLC Media Player takes only 3 seconds to start and then you only have to select the file and VLC will play it.
It supports MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, mp3, ogg, … and DVDs, VCDs, and several stream protocols.
It can also be used as a server to stream in unicast or multicast in IPv4 or IPv6 on a high-bandwidth network.
In addition, it also plays incomplete files, which is really interesting if you are downloading a movie and you want to check if it is the real one or a fake.
All these features have made VLC Media Player (Formerly known as VideoLan Client) one of the most used media players.
USEFUL VLC MEDIA PLAYER FEATURES YOU MIGHT NOT KNOW ABOUT
VLC Media Player is one of the most-used media players now available, not just for its stability and versatility when it comes to playing all sorts of multimedia files, but also for the number of extra features it includes. These are some of the many features that lots of people don’t know about for the player from VideoLan, such as the option to change the format of your videos, do live captures of what’s happening on the screen, download YouTube videos, or even record disks in physical format.
Make VLC the Default Media Player in Windows 10
Here are the detailed steps to make VLC the default media (video as well as audio) player:
Click on the Windows Start button, search for and go to Settings.
Click on Apps.
Access Default apps.
Under Choose Default apps, for the Video player click on Movies & TV and switch to VLC Media Player.
If you want to do it for music files as well, do the same thing for the choice present as a Music player.
The options are saved directly after the settings have been updated. The next time you open a video file, the VLC software will open it. You’ll also see the familiar traffic cone icon in the thumbnails of the media files.
Change the language from the interface
- Open VLC Media Player
- Go to Tools menu and click on Preferences or Press CTRL + P
- Click on the interface tab/icon on the top left (should be selected by default)
- From the languages option, select the menu/interface language you prefer
- Click save or hit enter
- Close and restart VLC. The effect should take place.